Cleanliness may not actually be next to godliness, but it certainly helps a person feel more human. When families find their homes destroyed, or must flee for their safety, soap and a towel rarely make the cut for what they can carry. Arriving in a refugee camp or other place of safety, they are scared, vulnerable and dirty from the travel. The simple items included in a Personal Care Kit provide much-needed self-care, critical germ fighting, and the chance to regain dignity amidst situations of fear and uncertainty.
Augustana’s Global Mission team is sponsoring the collection of Personal Care Kits for Lutheran World Relief in February. Place your items and kits in the labeled boxes in Augustana’s narthex or Fellowship Hall on Sundays, February 17 and 24. (Do not put them in the Metro Caring box.)
- wrap your items in a towel and secure with ribbon, yarn, or rubber bands. (Do NOT use plastic bags.) Or,
- bring items, and Augustana members and friends will assemble them together later.
What to include:
Include the following items in each Personal Care Kit:
- One light-weight bath-size towel (20″ x 40″ to 52″ x 27″), dark color recommended
- Two or three bath-size bars of soap equaling 8 to 9 oz., any brand, in original wrapping; no mini or hotel size bars
- One adult-size toothbrush in its original packaging (Toothbrush multi-packs may be used by sealing an individual toothbrush in a business-size envelope; no plastic bags or wrap.)
- One sturdy comb (no picks or fine toothed combs); remove packaging
- One metal nail clippers (attached file optional), remove packaging
Do not add other items or leave out any of the items listed. All items should be new and in good condition. Wrap all the items in the towel and secure with ribbon, yarn, or rubber bands. Do not enclose the kit or any of its contents in plastic bags.
Thanks for your gift of love through the Personal Care Kits. It is a simple way to say that we care.