Stay Connected: Sign up for Augustana’s ePistle Newsletter, or follow on Facebook or Twitter here.
- This event has passed.
Refugee Mentor Training
Sunday, December 1, 2019 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm MST
Refugee Mentor training offered at Augustana in December
Lutheran Family Services, in partnership with the Denver Rescue Mission, is training teams to befriend recently arrived refugee families and help them for six months in four key areas: financial literacy, employment, practical life skills, and learning English. Enough people have expressed interest to justify an introduction/training session at Augustana. It will be Sunday, December 1, noon–3 p.m., in the Anna Paulson Room.
Please call Augustana’s office (303-388-4678) if you will be coming. All are welcome!
If this time does not work for you, Lutheran Family Services will be doing the same training at their offices (1600 Downing St., #600, Denver) at the following times:
- Tuesday, December 3, 6:30–9:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 7, 6:30–9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, January 11, 10 a.m.–1 p.m.
Find out more and sign up for these trainings here.
Here are answers to questions asked about this program.
- How many people work with one family? One team of 4–6 mentors is assigned to one family. The goal is to make sure someone visits the family each week, and with a team there will likely be individuals with strengths in various areas (finances, education, law, medicine, etc.).
- Can I get assigned to a family that is close to my house? Lutheran Family Services says any family assigned to an Augustana team would be located within 20 minutes of Augustana.
- I thought the number of refugees has fallen dramatically. Do they still really need this kind of help? Despite the decreased numbers of refugees, Lutheran Family Services has a waiting list of families wanting mentors. The need is real.
- Sunday, December 1, 2019
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm MST
- Event Category:
- Compassion and Action with Our Neighbor (CAN) Ministry