What is a Personal Care Kit (PCK)?
Five items for personal care:
- 2 bars of soap
- sturdy comb (no picks or fine tooth combs)
- nail clipper
See details at https://lwr.org/kits/personal-care-kits/instructions.
Who receives the PCK?
Lutheran World Relief (associated with ELCA World Hunger) distributes them to refugees who have fled their homes for safety or to families whose homes are destroyed by disasters. They flee with minimal items in their backpacks. In 2020, 72,000 PCKs were sent to people in 23 countries.
After fleeing their homes, they arrive in refugee camps scared, vulnerable, and dirty from travel. A PCK gives them a chance to restore their dignity by having these simple items for self care. PCKs remind them that they are not alone, as the gifts show God’s love in a personal way.
During Undie Sunday in February, Augustana members and friends can assemble PCKs or donate any of the five items. There are boxes in Fellowship Hall and the narthex to put single items for PCK assembly. Assembled kits can be placed at the communion altars. Assembling PCKs is a great opportunity for friends and families with young children to become aware of the needs of others in the world and to share love by simply making a PCK.
Tips for buying and assembling PCKs:
- Carefully follow the assembly guidelines!
- If you purchase multi-pack toothbrushes, put the individual toothbrush in an envelope.
- Buy lightweight towels in dark colors so they can dry quickly in the camps. (Target has the 27×52-inch towel for $2.75 in gray.)
- Do not add any other items or use any plastic bags.
- If you prefer, you can support the shipping which is $2.65 per item.
- Assemble four items in the folded towel and secure with yarn, ribbon, or rubber bands.
- Tips and Tricks for assembly.